Aug 2, 2012

Cool as a Cucumber Salad

If you are like me, and you have a scary garden, you might have planted a few cucumber seeds last Spring.

Maybe you planted 5 seeds and they grew. And you were pleased.

And the cucumbers grew some more. And you were very pleased. Because you like cucumbers and were excited to be able to not spend money on something you buy every single week throughout the year.

And then you went on vacation for two weeks.

And you came home to find that those 5 seeds took over your garden and swallowed your house.
My house is fine, but only just.  The cucumber vines are watching me. I can feel them. They are waiting to make their move.

Big Daddy had a great idea this year, he took a section of mesh fencing and a couple of old, metal fence stakes, and made a sort of an angled trellis for the cucumbers. He trained the vines to grow on the trellis so that the cucumbers don't sit on the ground and rot. The cucumbers dangle through the fencing and grow really, really, really big.

They grow really big, very, very, very quickly. They are almost zucchini like in their size and number.

Fortunately, Big Daddy works with a lady who has a teen aged son. The lady refers to her son as "Hoover". I don't think he's named for President Hoover, I think he just inhales every bit of food in her house.

I hope her son doesn't decide not to like cucumbers. If he does, I'm going to have to set up a farm stand at the end of my driveway and you will see me on the news because I don't have a license or permit to do so and the town will come down on me and I will have to call the news channels to come and document my liberties being squashed (or in this case "cuked").

Just so you know, if that does happen, and you see me and my house on TV, we are renovating.  I don't really live in a burned out meth lab. It just looks that way. There is no way to dress up a dumpster.

So, if you, like me, have a plethora of cucumbers, here is a simple, inexpensive and versatile salad for your end of summer dinners, picnics and par-tays.

If you come up with your own yummy version, won't you come back and share it with us?

Ingredients:

2 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced as thinly as possible
8 oz Sour Cream (whole fat, skim, no fat, it's up to you)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional: herbs of your choice - I use Dill Weed (dried)

In a large bowl (because you need room to stir it up), place the cucumber slices and the onions.
Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.
Dump the Sour Cream on top
Stir thoroughly to combine
Sprinkle in some Dill Weed or whatever dried herb will enhance the delicate flavor of the cucumber and stir again.

Cover tightly and refrigerate for a while . Stir again before serving.

When you remove it from the fridge, the salt will have made the cucumbers sweat so it might look watery. This is completely normal and will thin the sour cream out a bit, which is desirable.

Consume with in a day or two, stirring before serving/ eating.

ENJOY!




1 comment:

  1. My friend, Charlotte (The link to her Magnolia Cake and Confections is below) suggests that fresh chives be added to this fab dish!

    ReplyDelete